This is the story of how your host, Evelio Mattos, won a packaging design and product launch pitch against VaynerMedia and also lost $900,000 in the process. The lesson in today’s episode is about knowing your value and understanding what you bring to the table when it comes to pricing, packaging design, and opportunities. As with any proposal, Evelio believes that presenting with confidence and clarity is key. It’s about delivering your pitch, focusing on its value to the consumer, their brand, and the longevity of the project but, most importantly, when you’re done, your audience should understand exactly what they are getting (as well as what they are not). Tuning in, you’ll learn the importance of engaging with your customers’ needs, determining what success will look like, and charging clients for the full value of what you will deliver, even if you’re just starting out. To find out more about how Evelio went up against the legendary Gary Vaynerchuk and won (but also lost), make sure not to miss today’s episode!
Key Points From This Episode:
- The story of the internal packaging design agency Evelio built for a Fortune 500 company.
- Find out how making pancakes helped Evelio build trust and relationships.
- The opportunities that come from engaging with customers and learning their needs.
- Evelio’s big picture approach to design and the confidence that comes with experience.
- The chance Evelio had to launch a new soft drink company with a celebrity founder.
- Hear about the ‘humbling period’ that comes with working with a celebrity.
- Determining what the success of a project will look like and what value it offers the brand.
- Learn about some of the other celebrity projects Evelio has worked on.
- Why it’s important to set a limit on how many comps you include in your proposals.
- Evelio on why he believes presenting with confidence and clarity is key.
- Weighing up losing a client versus underselling yourself by lowering your prices.
- Finding the best value for your brand as a self-funded startup.
- Evelio’s advice for listeners: charge clients for the full value of what you will deliver.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Package Design Unboxd
Evelio Mattos on LinkedIn
Evelio Mattos on Twitter
Package Design Unboxd Q&A on Clubhouse
Intl. Direct Packaging
People of Packaging Podcast
Sustainable Packaging Podcast